Saturday, March 19, 2005

Chocolate-Covered Peeps

I have seen (and partaken of) fried twinkies, funnel cakes, blood sausage, alligator po-boys, alligator sausage, crawfish beignets, every type of meat on a stick, and who knows what else. But never before today's trip to the Junk Sale in Abita Springs have I seen chocolate covered Peeps--the chick-shaped ones in purple, yellow, and pink, presented in a pint-sized strawberry basket filled with Easter grass.

Aside from the Peeps, the junk sale was no big thrill--rebel flags, handguns, yard dolls, and long rusty swords for sale. I bought nothing, but I did take my kids to the UCM museum, which is GREAT. It's an ever-evolving walking tour resplendent with found objects. Every inch is decorated and part of the display. And the artist also does really strange taxidermy--dog with gator head attached, that sort of thing. There's also a trailer set to look like a UFO crashed into it. When you get up close and look into the windows, you see aliens dressed in human clothes--pretty funny. I snapped a picture of my oldest standing next to a gorilla dressed in a Mardi Gras ball gown.

+++++++++++++++

On a different note, I got my color done today. I and my hairdresser were feeling wild, so we went wild with my har. Nothing natural about it--blonde, deep-brown, and merlot-colored streaks at the crown. Defititely not natural looking or conservative. And I'm afraid it won't match with the outfit I am wearing to do my presentation at the Tennessee Williams Festival. Oh well. It has about ten days to calm down.

2 Comments:

At 12:59 PM, Blogger Radish King said...

I'd like to know what happens when you put one of these in the microwave. Do they blow up like regulation Peeps or does the marshmallow leek out in little melty chocolate holes? Please try it and let me know.

 
At 5:40 PM, Blogger Alison Pelegrin said...

Rebecca--

I'm all for experimentation, but I have to confess to eating the choco-Peeps right there, in front of the kettle-corn outfit, while standing on wet ground covered with straw.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home