Friday, March 25, 2005

Good News

Yesterday, in celebration of good news, I allowed myself to go shopping. First stop--Scriptura, a stationary store. My mom gave me a gift certificate for my birthday, and I used part of it buying some beautiful blank notebooks--two from Japan with thinner-than college rule, and another from an artist/company named jill bliss. The pages are printed with beautiful illustrations of all different sorts of flowers--every few pages a different print. Too pretty to write in. But I'll besmear those pages in the very near future. I also bought two books--Jack Gilbert's new book of poems, which is amazing, and the Winter 05 issue of The Paris Review because I wanted to read the interview with Barry Hannah. Good reading all around.

The good news? I had two poems accepted by The Southern Review, "Your Psychic Powers and How to Develop Them," and "Squeezers," which is the title poem of my new chapbook.

I don't know if it's ok to quite him, so I'll just say that the editor B.L. said some very nice things about my work, things I needed to hear. My mom said, without irony, "Wow. Now you're famous!"

An Aside: I had my tw0 yeard old son with me yesterday. We had to pass in front of Ann Taylor Lof to get to the stationary store. He saw a huge picure of a model in the window, poined to her, and said "Mommy!" I kissed him about twenty times. Then, when we went inside the snotty man at Scripture followed me around as though I were going to steal something. (Remember--my hands were full of baby.)

1 Comments:

At 2:33 AM, Blogger Suzanne said...

Yay!! Congrats, Alison!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home