Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Procurer of Blurbs, or, Mom, Where Do Blurbs Come From--The Sequel

A while back I posted about having a hard time deciding what to do about blurbs for my chapbook. I am well aware that a chapbook doesn't need blurbs, but I want some anyway, and I want some good ones. But I had no idea who to ask--I didn't want to rely on former teachers because I did that for my first book, and I didn't want to use a colleague, and I don't really know anybody. I was stuck.

Then I started thinking of people who might be interested in my work and 1 or 2 book poets whose work has been important to me while working on my poems. And then I just hunted down their emails and asked them, prefacing the asking with a brief statement about how important their recent work had been to me. I started with four, and all four have been receptive--I got one blurb the other day, one on the way, and two promised. I think that's pretty good.

Here's an excerpt from the first blurb, which I may have to cut down for size. I wonder of it's ok to put her name down?

The part I like best is this: "Through these landscapes wander a surprising pair of literary ghosts: French convict-poet Francois Villon, feeling thoroughly at home with his fellow sinners, and Chinese scholar poet Li Po, drunkenly searching for his lost pastoral world. It's about time that Southern "grit lit" crossed over from fiction to poetry, and Alison Pelegrin is just the poet to pull it off." Julie Kane

What is "grit lit"? Grit like grits, like girls-raised-in-the-south, like gritty? Or something else entirely?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home