Tuesday, February 14, 2006

309

I am wondering if other writers out there are superstitious like I am. For example, I finished my NEA application a week ago, but I have been driving around with it in the car (I often drive my poems around, for some reason) so that I could mail it today, since I mailed it on Valentine's Day last time. First of all, who remembers when they mail things? Not normal people--only poets I bet. Or maybe just me. It's not like Valentine's Day is super special to me--it's not my brithday, and it certainly didn't bring me luck in the last round of fellowship applications.

I am also superstitious about certain numbers, like my birthday number: 309. That was the number on my Granny's room in her old folks high rise. I always expect something good to happen when 309 is involved. (Twice I got news about winning chapbook awards on 3/09.) If I played the lottery I bet you could guess my numbers.

My other writing rituals are too mundane and boring to get into.

1 Comments:

At 12:11 PM, Blogger Kelli Russell Agodon - Book of Kells said...

Yep. I have a friend who also finds herself submitting to a certain contest on Valentine's day b/c that's the date she always has.

I'm strange about dates on checks. If I'm writing a check on the 17th, I'll date it the 16th b/c I think 16 is a luckier number.

I'm also one who looks for signs in things, like last night, I picked up a friend at a vacant firework stand and there was a trailer that said, "Prairie Schooner" so I thought about that book contest.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home